County Fire Office

County Fire Office Bucket

The most interesting aspect of this well-worn leather fire bucket of the County Fire Office is to be found on the underside. Whilst the fire engineering firm of Merryweather & Son was founded by Moses Merryweather in the first half of the 19th century, it can claim through a series of mergers to have been originally established in 1692, when Nathaniel Hadley set up a firm making primitive fire pumps. Their position as Britain’s leading fire engineers was finally confirmed in 1928, when they took over their main rival Shand Mason. Their involvement with this bucket would most likely have taken place in the late 19th century.

Registered Charity address:
C/o Chartered Insurance Institute
3rd Floor, 20 Fenchurch Street,
London EC3M 3BY
Charity No. 1188138

Sign up to Newsletter

    © Copyright Insurance Museum 2022